Image of a dropped kerb for a drive

How To Apply For A Dropped Kerb

If you need to drive over the pavement to access the front of your property, you will need to apply for a dropped kerb – this is officially known as a vehicle crossover application.

It is illegal to drive over a footway where the kerb has not been lowered.  This is because there is a risk of damage to pipes and other infrastructure that may lie buried beneath the pavement.

Here are some pointers to help you with your dropped kerb application:

  1. Do you need planning permission for a dropped kerb?

    Check with your Local Planning Authority whether you need planning permission for the proposed driveway and dropped kerb. If the answer is yes, you will need to submit drawings detailing the proposal.

  2. Get in touch with the Highways Department

    Seek approval from your local council’s Highways Department for the dropped kerb. Find out more on the website.

  3. Choose a Contractor

    Choose a contractor to meet the requirements as set out by your Local Authority. Your Local Authority may provide a list of recommended contractors; however, you are not limited to them. We recommend seeking at least three written quotations. Your chosen contractor will then request a licence from your Local Authority to construct a dropped kerb.

  4. See the work to completion

    The contractor will inform the Local Authority of a start date. A Highways officer will then inspect the works during and on completion of the vehicle crossover to ensure it has been carried out correctly.

Once the Highways officer has signed off the work, you can legally cross the public footway and gain access to your property in a vehicle.

What next?

, , , ,

Comments are closed.